Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Two Kingdom Concerns

I have been reading with interest over the last few months what some people are writing about r2kt, or radical two kingdom theology. I have thought, ever since I was a student in seminary(where I first read Dr. D. Van Drunen), that this issue had the potential of being a large one. Well, it seems that this is going to become a large one. To give a quick explanation to those who may be hearing of this for the first time, r2kt teaches that the scriptures are to govern the church and natural law is to govern the world. r2kt, via Kline, teaches that there are two kingdoms, a kingdom of common grace (world) and a kingdom of special grace (church). As an American I live in the world as a citizen governed by the natural law God places in the hearts of all men. As a Christian, I am governed by scripture, until I enter the realm of common grace. As a Christian politician, for example, I would not argue from scripture, but from natural law. What exactly "natural law" is, still is a bit unclear to me, as it was for Dr. Venema as he reviewed The Law is not of Faith, in the MAJT.

As Reformed Chrisitans we can agree that the Christian lives a two-fold life. BCF Article 35 says in part, "Now those who are regenerated have in them a twofold life..." We can also confirm with the Apostle Paul that our citizenship is in heaven (Phil. 3). This is not the issue, as Reformed Christians we can all agree with this. However, how this plays out is the actual question, especially in light of the antithesis between the seed of the woman and the seed of the serpent (Gen. 3:15).

As I have been reading, I see many of my brothers and sisters who have a real fear of r2kt, and my sentiments are with them. The more I read about r2kt from Dr. David Van Drunen and others (think of The Law is Not of Faith), the more concerned I become. Here is where what we believe influences the way we live. I believe it was J. Knox who said, "Impractical theology is idolatry." Well, one problem with r2kt is that it is too practical and the conclusion it brings its adherents to embrace is problematic. A number of my colleagues have been, more ably than I am able, treating r2kt, including two of my former professor Drs. Venema and Kloosterman, just to name two. What I want to bring to the attention to the members of our churches especially is where this will likely lead if it is not dealt with quickly. I find r2kt to be an attack on many things we as Reformed believers hold dear. I will list four areas.

First, the necessity of Christian day schools. What should govern the education of our children? I believe the Christian school is a tool that parents may use to educate their children (Deut. 6). Parents may do this with the understanding that the school isn't called to raise their children, they are called to raise their children (The Word of God must reign supreme in this whole process). With r2kt is there a need for the Christian school? I don't see how, since education would be found to be in the "common grace kingdom" and governed by "natural law." The only other option for r2kt and Christian education is to promote a parochial school and argue that all education must be performed under the authority of a consistory. Since I have not been reading anything along those lines, it is safe to believe, if r2kt, our schools are in grave danger.

Secondly, the role of the military. My best friend, Chaplain (Reverend) Andrew Spriensma is serving my nation in the SE U.S. as an army chaplain. To a r2kt proponent, that is problematic. It is problematic because he is bringing the gospel to the "common grace kingdom" while receiving a paycheck from the U.S. government. To them, this is a failure to distinguish between church and state. But to them, they would likely say that same things about BCF Article 36 where we confess that the civil magistrate is to "protect the sacred ministry, that the kingdom of Christ may thus be promoted. They must therefore countenance the preaching of the Word of the gospel everywhere...." Countenancing the preaching of the gospel everywhere certainly applied to the front lines of war, in prisons, in hospitals, nursing homes, homeless shelters and wherever else they will allow the gospel of Jesus Christ to be proclaimed.

Thirdly, the need for or allowability of Christian political organizations. I believe in a proper separation of church and state. But this does not mean that neither the church nor the state has anything to say to each other. As a minister of the word, I pray for Prime Minister Harper, President Obama, Members of Parliament, etc. I pray that they may govern according to God's law. That if they are Christians, they will govern as Christians, that in this land, the law (10 commandments) and honour of God may be revered. For instance, as a Christian, I don't know how you could vote to allow legalized prostitution, abortion for unwanted pregnancies, euthanasia, a repeal of the death pentalty, etc. Aren't we bound by the Word of God in all things?

In Canada, a relatively new political organization has developed among primarily Canadian Reformed, URC, etc. This organization is called ARPA standing for Association for Reformed Political Action. This group petitions the government when bills which are contrary to God's law are coming up for votes, so that Christian citizens, can exercise their right to have their voices heard, if to no one else, at least to their local representatives. A number of the young people from my congregation are now involved in this. Should I discourage them? Should I tell them that this is unnecessary, and in fact, this is practicing a certain love for the world? I hold to Amillenialism and I have rarely been called overly optimistic about the plight of humanity in this world, but when I read this r2kt stuff, I just scratch my head in wonder. Have we forgotten our own history? What about the debates in the CRC in the 1911-1913 era over woman's suffrage? Or those ministers who spoke out against injustices during WWI? What about the dozens of CRC ministers who went off to war as army chaplains in WWII. While these soldiers were comforted by Psalm 121, Revs. Van Halsema and Zylstra put it to music which we now find in our Psalter Hymnal #261. I can see that these r2kt propenents are speaking against "Americanism at all costs", but come on....

Finally, the lack of Christian professionals left in the church. Why? Because there is no such thing as Christian professionals to the r2kt. Someone might be a Christian who happens to be a lawyer, doctor, financial adviser, surgeon, teacher, etc. Wha..? Yep, take your pick between an atheist doctor or a Christian one because it doesn't really matter. Am I not to preach the gospel to my congregation, week in and week out, so that they believe and grow into maturity in Jesus Christ. So that they take the Reformed worldview, and wherever God calls (vocatio) them, they can live their as servants of the great King, Jesus Christ?

As those who have within them, a twofold life after regeneration, we ought to thank our father's in the faith for the worldview that they have passed down, which is distinctively Reformed. It is not Roman Catholic, it is not Lutheran, it is certainly not anabaptist, it is Reformed. "This is my Father's world." I hope my concerns are invalid and I have nothing to worry about, but my fears are growing.

3 comments:

  1. NOTE: This is Andrew writing, not Michelle!

    Thanks for the posting Steve,

    I think I was reading your post within the same week of receiving the news that the repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell" was approved by our government. I again question how the church and how Christians are to speak towards the immorality of homosexuality using only this vague notion of "natural law" Romans 1 states that in the suppression of truth they exchanged that which was natural for that which was contrary to nature.

    Here, I believe the church of Jesus Christ has a prophetic role to proclaim the will of God to her civil authorities. I was delighted to hear that our synod took up that calling. I was saddened to hear that our government ignored our plea.

    I also share your concern for the Christian professional. It seems the r2kt teaching encourages Christians to wear two different hats. As a chaplain in a secular environment, I often work in that "realm of common grace", when for instance I am leading a class on suicide awareness and prevention. Now even while I teach this class, while I am not proclaiming the gospel at that very moment, I cannot divorce myself from my Christian worldview. Everything we think, do, and say is to be shaped and informed by our faith in Jesus Christ. To hang up that hat, so to speak, when working in the "other kingdom" to me seems to me to be spiritually and intellectually dishonest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,

    Thanks for the interaction. r2kt is the exact thing that I was afraid of at synod. I fear that we have r2kt ministers who don't think we should have army chaplains.

    Another problem with r2kt, is the possible tendency to teach our children that they are Sunday Christians. These are the worst type of "Christians" as they undermine the churches witness to the world.

    May God bless your work, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One correction I would make to my post is an oversight on my part. ARPA is not a new organization. It has been around for some time.

    Sorry original ARPA members!

    ReplyDelete