Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

D-Day 68 Years Later

On June 6, 1944 Allied troops landed on the shores of Normandy, France in the largest amphibious invasion ever. By July 4, 1,000,000 troops had landed on the shores of Normandy. The invasion, called "Operation Overlord" was the entrance of the Allied Forces into France and into the waiting German forces. Casualties were high and there have been a number of movies made about the invasion (The Longest Day, Saving Private Ryan, etc.) Today, I pause to remember this important date in the history, not only of my country, but of the whole world.
The majority of troops who landed on the shores of Normandy were from England, the U.S., and Canada. There was air support from a few other Commonwealth countries. In 2003 I visited Normandy, France and I walked along the beach. I gazed up the high and intimidating cliffs and I thought about the young soldiers landing, pinned along the beach, fighting those who had the upper ground. As I stood on the beach in Normandy I tried to picture what that would be like. Imagine the fear of a young man who in just a moment, the exit would be opened on the boat, the cliffs and beach would be exposed and he would jump from his ship to wade through the water and look for some kind of cover as bullets flew by.

What really got to me was the fact that the forces who landed on the beach initially had not been attacked by the Germans. After all, the U.S. could have just focused on Japan, a more imminent threat. England had not been invaded, Canada had not been invaded, the U.S. had not been invaded and yet they sent their boys to war to defend liberty and justice. The older generation still among us remembers this, but my generation knows little of this. The ultimate sacrifice one can make for his friend (Ally) is to give his life. 68 years ago today thousands did just that. By mid-July, more than 100,000 allied troops lost their lives in Normandy and over 100,000 German forces died as well.

 Today I thank God for those who have gone before me, many of which are not here today because of their sacrifice. Let us never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment